Wednesday 21 April 2010

Jars














































For the past few days I have been working on jars. While making the bowls, I got inspired to make some jars with a similar form. Look at pictures from the bowls and jars; do you see the connection? Again, I made handbuilt, textured lids. The texture is what takes so long. However, I feel it is worth the time it takes. I have always had a special fondness for jars. I'm not sure what it is....Perhaps it it the idea of hidden containment, of storing things away in an attractive vessel. I don't really know. I really prefer the handbuilt lids. I used to always make little thrown lids. However, it is much harder to get the right fit. Also, I like the rounded effect I made with the handbuilt ones. They will look great in groups for photos.


On Monday it was my 25th birthday. Wow, I'm getting old, 1/4 of a century! Definately a milestone. For one of my gifts, Joey brought me to Exeter Fine Crafts, a beautiful craft store in Exeter's downtown area. He gave me a dollar amount and said I could buy anything I wanted. I picked out a Jane Kaufman orb with water lilies etched all over it. It is a little piece of inspiration, reminding me to keep it fun and light. Jane is quite the character. You can check out her website at http://www.janekaufman.com/. We also went into this totally bizarre antique shop. I found some great little furniture pieces for displaying work. We also found this old shallow crock that is now Moki's water dish. It was such a nice day for strolling throught the town. Next up, I think I am going to make miniatures. They usually sell well at fairs. I'm thinking little jars and vases. Keep checking the blog; there will be more to come! Moki stole my seat today...little rascal!

No comments:

Post a Comment